Position Title: South Coast Energy Justice Organzier
Employment Status: Full Time
FSLA Status: Exempt
Starting Salary: $45,760
Salary Bonus: Spanish Language Enhancement add $2,600
ABOUT ROGUE CLIMATE
Since 2013, Rogue Climate has been building a climate movement in Southern Oregon and the South Coast to achieve solutions to climate change that will result in cleaner energy, sustainable jobs, and a healthy climate. We have also played a lead organizing role to stop new fossil fuel infrastructure like the proposed Jordan Cove LNG fracked gas export project, to move forward clean energy policies, and more recently to support mutual-aid networks in the wake of the Almeda Fire. We are committed to working for climate solutions that result in a just transition to clean energy that benefits rural, low income, and Black, Indigenous, and other communities of color.
The South Coast Energy Justice Organizer position will be responsible for moving forward and supporting projects and campaigns that result in clean and affordable energy that benefit communities most impacted by climate change on the South Coast.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
Develop, train, and manage new community leaders and volunteers to advocate for projects and policies that reduce energy burden and move forward a just transition to clean energy, including the Oregon Clean Energy Opportunity Campaign.
- Coordinate with and/or deepen relationships with existing partners in the region including Tribal Governments, local energy advocates, community organizations serving low-income residents and more.
- Engage with local and state partners to develop an Oregon Green New Deal platform that incorporates feedback and perspective from the South Coast.
- Support community outreach for the Energize South Coast program.
- Support Coos County youth internship program with facilitation in weekly sessions and campaign related projects.
- Ensure data is collected and entered in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Identify, develop, and implement local campaigns and projects for renewable energy and climate justice with community members and Rogue Climate team.
- Active recruitment of community volunteers through field outreach activities including phone-banking, canvassing, community presentations, digital organizing and more. Regular and ongoing field work is a requirement of this position (COVID permitting.
- At least one year of experience in grassroots, campus, or campaign organizing work.
- Experience and competency working with people from a wide range of backgrounds including working class people, Black, Indigenous, and people of color.
- A high level of competency facilitating workshops, trainings and meetings.
- Experience in event planning and community outreach.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings, including virtually through the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Capacity to work irregular hours (including evenings and weekends) for field outreach, and youth trainings, etc.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Docs, and social media.
- Capacity to travel occasionally across Oregon (Covid-19 permitting) primarily to Salem and Jackson County.
- Organizational skills, in particular time management and project management.
- Campaign experience identifying volunteer leaders, setting priorities, and moving teams in line with campaign goals and strategic direction.
- An understanding of energy systems and environmental justice.
- Experience and understanding working with Tribal Governments.
- Experience managing interns or fellows.
- Experience managing volunteer databases.
- Experience and familiarity with the Climate Justice movement and issue-based campaigns.
- Fluency in both Spanish and English.
LOCATION and BENEFITS
This position is based out of the Rogue Climate office in Coos County, with some travel to Salem and Jackson County (COVID permitting). The organizer will be provided with a cell phone and a laptop. Benefits include health care, robust vacation, sick time, flexible holidays, a Spanish language salary enhancement, and upto a $1200 student loan repayment stipend.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify “South Coast Energy Justice Organizer” in the subject line by Wednesday, January 20. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, trans and gender nonconforming people, people from poor and working-class backgrounds, and women are encouraged to apply.
Rogue Climate is an equal opportunity employer.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.