Applications Due By: May 31, 2022
Online application: bit.ly/youthleads22
Apply for the Summer 2022 Rogue Climate and Rogue Action Center Organizing Youth Leaders Internship!
What is Organizing?
Empowering our communities with the tools to make changes we need in the places we live.
At Rogue Climate our mission is to empower Southern Oregon and South Coast communities most impacted by climate change, including low-income, rural, youth, and communities of color, to win climate justice by organizing for clean energy, sustainable jobs, and a healthy environment. We have played a lead community organizing role to stop new fossil fuel infrastructure, like defeating the Jordan Cove LNG export terminal and the Pacific Connector Pipeline, in Southern Oregon. We are committed to working for climate solutions that result in a just transition to clean energy that benefits rural, low-income and communities of color.
At the Rogue Action Center we work to grow an effective and coordinated movement that can win economic, social, racial, and climate justice based on the needs and realities of our rural and small-town region. We train and incorporate new people into community leadership roles and campaign work. Current campaigns focus on affordable housing solutions, building people power to defend and expand public transit, and supporting our strong community in standing up to the rise of white supremacy in the Rogue Valley and South Coast.
- Recruit and develop the next generation of climate leaders and community organizers.
- Help youth leaders develop organizing skills from environmental and social justice framework. This foundational understanding will provide students with context to participate in broader climate and social justice movements.
- Support emerging leaders in getting hands-on experience and hard-skills development through doing.
- Expand capacity for Rogue Action Center and Rogue Climate’s current campaigns, projects and field work.
- Interns will commit to participating in the 9 week program from June 20th through August 20th, 2022
- Interns will commit to working with Rogue Climate and the Rogue Action Center for 3-6 hours a week. Organization hours will be flexible to accommodate school and work schedules!
- Interns will work closely with one mentor from either the Rogue Action Center or Rogue Climate in addition to a project workgroup.
- 2.5 hours a week will be spent in a weekly Internship Class with other interns to learn more about organizing, strategic planning, and social justice.
- 1-3 hours a week will be spent developing campaign skills by participating in regular field organizing to include canvassing, outreach at community events, phone banking and group or class presentations.
POTENTIAL EXPERIENCES AND SKILLS-DEVELOPMENT FOR INTERNS
- Do community outreach and train volunteers and leaders to be part of ongoing campaigns.
- Skills: develop community organizing skills through canvassing, social media management, phone banking, recruitment, leadership development, and meeting facilitation.
- Engage leaders of local organizations and community groups to educate and activate their members on statewide climate policy.
- Skills: networking, developing communications skills such as writing a public email, and developing campaign materials.
- Connect our communities with elected local and state representatives to act on our behalves.
- Skills: develop campaign skills such as lobbying and policy-tracking.
- Plan and execute action-oriented events and activities that draw in new supporters.
- Skills: effectively recruit and retain people power, hone organizational and planning skills and refine data management skills.
WORKSHOP/ APPLICATION SCHEDULE
Applications are due no later than May 31 and will be accepted on a rolling basis. Interns will meet one to two times per week for Internship class at a time to be decided upon by the participants by June 12th. The tentative class schedule is as follows:
Week 1 (June 20- 26): Orientation: Intro to the Organizations. Get to know each other!
Week 2 (June 27- July 3): Community Organizing 101
Week 3 (July 4- 10): Climate Justice
Week 4 (July 11- 17): Application session
Week 5 (July 18- 24): Power, Privilege and Oppression
Week 6 (July 25- 31): Campaign Planning 1
Week 7 (August 1- 7): Campaign Planning 2
Week 8 (August 8-14): Strategic Communication
Week 9 (August 15-21): Wrap-up Celebration and Feast
If you are interested in participating, please fill out this application by May 31st by filling out the form HERE and we will follow up with you to schedule an interview!