Community Organizing Youth Internship, Summer 2023
Rogue Climate and the Centro de acción pícaro (RAC) are excited to offer the summer 2023 Community Organizing Youth Internship, for youth in the Rogue Valley aged 14-30 who want to make changes around climate and social justice issues in their community.
Apply by June 25th for the opportunity to attend weekly workshops, learn hands-on community organizing skills, and join local campaigns for climate and social justice.
This eight week program runs from Tuesday July 18th through Saturday September 9, 2023. Workshops will include Community Organizing 101, Climate Justice, Power, Privilege and Oppression, Campaign Planning and more. Interns will also participate in one of four Project Groups. No prior experience is necessary, and interns will receive a $450 stipend upon completion of the internship.
Please note that this internship is limited to 15 participants. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and early application is encouraged. Accepted applicants will be informed by July 7, 2023 at the latest.
- Interns will commit to participating in the full 8 week program from July 18 through September 9th, 2023
- Interns will commit to working with Rogue Climate and the RAC for 3 – 6 hours a week. Organization hours will be flexible to accommodate school and work schedules!
- Workshops – 2.5 hours a week will be spent in a weekly Internship workshop with other interns to learn more about organizing, strategic planning, and social justice.
- An average of 1- 2 hours a week will be spent in project groups that meet outside of workshop times. Interns will be placed in one of the following project groups based on interest and availability.
- Equipo de acción climática rebelde (RCAT): RCAT is currently leading a campaign for Electrification in Ashland. Join this group to support a transition away from fossil fuels and practice organizer skills like canvassing, making calls, writing letters, and other leadership skills.
- Resilience Hubs: Resilience hubs are trusted community-centered places that are set up to address community needs and are equipped to provide support in the face of disasters and extreme weather events. This group will work with staff and community members to center the needs and assets of the community through outreach, group facilitation, and more.
- Disaster Relief Team (DRT): Building upon the lessons learned from the September 2020 Almeda Fire, the RAC and our community partners have launched the DRT to empower communities to have the support, knowledge, and resources to recover from past disasters and prepare for any future disasters. Join the network of organizations throughout the Rogue Valley to build skills in Disaster Preparedness training facilitation.
- Almeda Commemoration Event Planning: This September, RAC and Coalición Fortaleza are hosting a “block party” for families impacted by the 2020 fires in Talent, Or. Interns will support the preparation and execution of the event with the support of staff and volunteers.
Interns will meet one to two times per week for Internship workshops and project groups. Project group times are TBD. The workshop schedule is as follows:
- July 18 (TUES) 4 – 6:30 pm: Orientation
- July 25 (TUES) Organización comunitaria 101
- Aug 1(TUES) Climate Justice
- August 8 (TUES) Power, Privilege and Oppression
- August 15 (TUES) Campaign Planning I
- August 22 (TUES) Lobbying
- Sep 1 (SAT) Time TBD: Campaign Planning II
Sept 8 (SAT) Time TBD: Closing Celebration
If you are interested in applying, please submit your application by June 25, 2023. Application forms can be found HERE, and once you submit we will follow up to schedule an interview!
2023 Community Organizing Youth Internship is open to youth aged 14-30 who live in the Rogue Valley.
People of color, trans and gender nonconforming people, people from poor and working-class backgrounds, people with disabilities, and women are encouraged to apply.
Please note that this internship is limited to 15 participants. Accepted applicants will be informed by July 7, 2023. A $450 stipend will be provided upon completion of the internship.
If you have questions about the internship program or need support with the application, please contact Blanca Gutierrez at Blanca@rogueclimate.org or Jordan Bruyn at Jordan@rogueactioncenter.org